Gelt Contest winner announced!
The first to correctly identify all ten sentences was Sarah Otley, pictured here with her hard won gelt. Here are the correct answers.
1. "In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some ADVICE that I've been turning over in my mind ever since." (Great Gatsby)
2. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of good FORTUNE, must be in want of a wife." (Pride and Prejudice)
3. "Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the FLOWERS herself." (Mrs. Dalloway)
4. "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put FOUNDATIONS under them." (Walden)
5. "Buck did not read the newspapers, or he would have know that TROUBLE was brewing, not alone for himself, but for every tide-water dog, strong of muscle and with warm, long hair, from puget sound to San Diego."(Call of the Wild)
6. "We were in Study Hall, when the Headmaster entered, followed by a new boy dressed in regular clothes and a school servant carrying a large DESK." (Madame Bovary)
7. "In a room of the Palais-Cardinal which we already know, near a table with silver gilt corners, loaded with papers and BOOKS, a man was sitting, his head resting in his hands." (Twenty Years After)
8. "It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited LOVE." (Love in the Time of Cholera)
9. "In the first place, Cranford is in possession of the Amazons; all the holders of HOUSES, above a certain rent, are women." (Cranford)
10. "I reached out a hand from under the blankets, and rang the bell for JEEVES." (The Code of the Woosters)
And what of the secret prize for the best new sentences. Well there were many great sentences submitted and three were chosen as winners of a DDG stuff-able store bag. Here are the winning sentences.
"Christmas won't be Christmas without any gelt." (Little Women)
"Where's Papa going with that gelt?" (Charlotte's Web)
“As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic gelt.” ( Metamorphosis)-