Bank foundation grants $33,000 in local scholarships
FARMINGTON - Franklin Savings Bank’s Community Development Foundation has awarded $33,000 college scholarships to 12 local students. The scholarships are $3,000 each.
The bank generally awards 11 scholarships per year, although one school, Mt. Abram, presented two scholarships this year due to a change in plans for one of its 2011 recipients and unspent funds carried over from last year.
The 2012 Franklin Scholars are:
- Mt. Abram High School: Alex Lopez, of Kingfield, son of Mark and Sheri Lopez, who plans to major in business economics at the University of Maine at Farmington.
- Mt. Abram High School: Erin Edith Luce, of Carrabasset Valley, daughter of Robert and Jane Luce, who plans to major in business at Castleton State College.
- Spruce Mountain South High School: Benjamin Keene, of Livermore, son of Kenneth and Shawn Keene, plans to major in business management at UMF.
- Spruce Mountain North High School: Nicole Adams, of Jay, daughter of Elisa Nichols, plans to major in computer science at UMF.
- Mt. Blue High School: Nichole M. Tracy, of Farmington, daughter of Peter and Amy Tracy, plans to major in financial support services at Thomas College in Waterville.
- Mt. Blue High School: Blake Burch Hart, of Farmington, son of Alan Hart and Heidi Dulong, plans to major in business management at Castleton State College in Vermont.
- Rangeley Lakes Regional School: Chantal Carrier, of Rangeley, daughter of Patricia Baker and Larry Carrier, plans to major in business and marketing at the University of Southern Maine.
- Carrabec High School: Chelsea White, of Embden, daughter of Sam and Bonnie White, who plans to major in accounting at Thomas College
- Skowhegan High School: Mikayla L. Fitzmaurice, of Skowhegan, daughter of Dennis and Darcy Fitzmaurice, plans to major in marketing at Bryant University in Rhode Island.
- Madison Area Memorial High School: Zachary A. Coro, of Madison, son of Kim and Wayne Coro, plans to major in business management at Fisher College.
- Mountain Valley High School: Cam Welch, of Rumford, son of Pamela and David Welch, plans to major in marketing at Bentley University.
- Dirigo High School: Colleen Merrill, of Canton, daughter of David and Josephine Merrill, plans to major in general studies at Central Maine Community College.
“This is a great group of young people. They’ve worked very hard to achieve many great things while in high school. It’s our pleasure to help them pursue their goals for higher education. I’m confident they will continue to succeed,” said Peter Judkins, President and CEO at Franklin Savings Bank.
Scholarships from the Franklin Savings Bank Community Development Foundation were awarded to students who plan to attend a four-year college with studies concentrating in accounting, finance, marketing, management, computer sciences or other business related courses. The graduating seniors were selected as Franklin Scholars based largely on high academic achievement, which alone represented 70 percent of the criteria for scholarship selection. The remaining 30 percent was based on community citizenship, participation in extra-curricular activities, such as athletics, band, school clubs or drama, and financial need.
The bank’s Community Development Foundation grants the scholarships to the schools, which select the student and administer the scholarship.
Franklin Savings Bank’s Community Development Foundation was created in 2000 to support community, economic and educational needs within the communities served by Franklin Savings Bank. To date, the Foundation has awarded $406,000 to 122 students and is one of the most generous scholarships available in the area.