Franklin Countys First News

Update: Water restored to most customers, continue boiling water

[Update - March 14, 9:26 p.m.] Customers in the Jay Hill area experiencing low water pressure are being asked to be patient. The water tower on the top of the hill is continuing to fill. Pressure will be restored as the water level in the tank continues to rise.

[Update - 7:14 p.m.] The Jay Village Water District has further isolated the water break along Route 4 and is in the process of restoring service to most of the impacted areas. Areas still without water include sections of Route 140, Riley Village and the mill.

The boil order remains in effect for residences and businesses that see their water service restored. The district anticipates that it will bring a sample to Augusta tomorrow morning and that it will likely have results by Friday. That information will be shared when it becomes available.

[Update - 4:31 p.m.] Workers are continuing to drill along Route 4 in an effort to discover the location of the water break. The water is traveling beneath the frost, according to information shared by Town Manager Shiloh LaFreniere, which is making it more difficult to locate the break. The effort to locate and fix the break is being undertaken by district personnel as well as multiple outside experts.

An issue with the Hyde Road pipe has been fixed, and water is expected to be restored there soon. Another issue with the water tower on Jay Hill has also been corrected, and that tower will be available for use after the water flow is restored.

[Update - 12:28] The valve has been installed along Route 4 and the line is being tested to further isolate the break. A contractor is currently working on the Hyde Road, while another contractor is working on the water tower.

Residents should recall that a boil order is in effect after water is restored to any location.

JAY - Officials with the Jay Village Water District are continuing their efforts to identify the precise location of a break in a water line that left a number of homes and businesses, as well as the elementary school, without water Monday.

The location of the break has been narrowed to a 500-foot area along Route 4, between Subway and Route 140. Last night, water delivery was reestablished to customers north of the Subway; those customers are now operating under a boil order until the break can be fixed and the water tested at a laboratory in Augusta.

The break was initially reported Sunday night, just after 9 p.m. It impacted a number of homes and businesses, including Spruce Mountain Elementary School, which was closed yesterday. That school, along with all other Regional School Unit 73 schools, was closed again today due to the approaching snowstorm.

The district was able to narrow the break to the Route 4 area by mid-afternoon Monday, but was unable to determine the precise location. Personnel intended to try through the night to fix the exact location, hoping to take advantage of the reduced traffic and street noise. That effort is continuing Tuesday, as the district installs a valve to isolate the leak and narrow the search. Once that area is narrowed, according to information shared by Town Manager Shiloh LaFreniere Tuesday, workers will be trying to force the water to the surface to determine a specific location.

Anyone who has seen their water restored should continue to operate under a boil order until further notice. Affected customers should boil water for one minute. That includes water that they plan to drink, use to brush their teeth and make ice cubes. After the water is boiled, it can be put in the refrigerator.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Comments are closed.